Høgsteinen lighthouse was established in 1857 and is built of cut stone, lined with 100 000 bricks. The construction works were led by one of the pioneers of Norwegian lighthouse building, Ole Gammelsen Mork, who had a dream of ending his career as a lighthouse keeper before his retirement. And here at Høgsteinen his dream came true. In 1905 Høgsteinen was de-manned. The station is owned by the state and protected as a national monument under the Cultural Heritage Act. Guiding the way - The Lighthouse Commission of 1851 classified Breisundet as one of the most sought entrances to the north- western coast and therefore gave priority to the establishment of a guiding light in these waters. The best place they found to be was the south-easterly point of the island Godøy.