Halten lighthouse was first lit in 1875. It is part of a row of coastal lights, including Sula, Vingleia and Finnvær. The stone tower measures 29,5 meter and is of an unusual kind in Norway. The station was attacked by Allied planes during the 2nd world war, but with minor damage. The station was de-manned in 2005. It is still owned by the state, and is protected as a national monument under the Cultural Heritage Act. Guiding the way - In the 1850’s a discussion was raised regarding the unsatisfactory lighthouse service on the coast north of Trondheim. Originally, the plan was to erect two towers at Halten, but by the time the work was started in the 1870’s, the technological development had eliminated the need for twin- or triple-lights as aids to navigation. Because of the “new” revolving lenses, each light could be given their own light-character depending on the speed of rotation and the construction of the lens. As a result of this, two of the triple stone towers at Lista were taken down, and the cut stones were transported to Halten to build the new tower here. Even the lantern was moved, and several of the workers involved in the construction of the two new towers at Lista 20 years before were present at Halten when receiving the stones for re-building.
Foto: og grafikk Arild Fredriksen
Publisert av: Lindesnes fyrmuseumSist endret: 2018-11-21