Before 1800, Norway had very few lighthouses. Shipping lanes and coastlines were virtually unmarked. This delayed and impeded travel along the coast. After Norway left the union with Denmark in 1814, the Norwegian Parliament made it a priority to secure coastal travel and bind the nation closer together. This was part of a project of nation-building. Lighthouses and sea marks were systematically set up along the entire coast, including that of Rogaland. The years between the 1840s and 1914 saw the construction of a network of lighthouses and sea marks along Rogaland’s coast and in its fjords. This was necessary in order to maintain safe year-round contact between different parts of the country, and to secure the transport of passengers, mail and cargo. In short, it was necessary in order to keep the wheels of society in motion.