Skomvær lighthouse was established in 1887. The lighthouse is located on a small island extremity of the Lofoten. There was a lot of traffic past the lighthouse with timber from Arkhangelsk and also other large ships heading north to Tromsø, Hammerfest and Vardø. The lighthouse was equipped with a 1st order blink apparatus. In 1932 a dual light in the tower's third floor was established, it had a fixed white light. That same year, Skomvær got a diaphone fog signal, and in 1959 the lighthouse got a radio beacon. The lighthouse was automated and abandoned in 1978. Skomvær lighthouse is a protected monument and owned by NCA.