In 1852, a public lighthouse commission was assigned the task of determining the location of a new coastal lighthouse between Lista and Kvitsøy. The Lighthouse Director considered it essential for the light to be seen far out at sea and to be the first landmark for ships coming towards Jæren from the south. Ships from the north also had to be able to see the lighthouse and steer clear of Kvassheim and Ogna Bay. Eigerøy was therefore considered the most optimal location. It was commissioned in 1854 as Norway’s first cast-iron lighthouse. Eigerøy Lighthouse was automated in 1989, and the city of Eigersund later took over and turned it into a coastal cultural centre. The complex now includes overnight accommodation and a Sunday café in the lighthouse keeper’s residence.