Utsira lighthouse was established in 1844. From the beginning until 1890 it was a twin light with two towers. And even though the towers are not very tall, Utsira still is the “highest” lighthouse in Norway, with the light 78,2 metres above sea level. Because of its location, Utsira lighthouse has also been an important station for meteorological observations. Cooperation between the lighthouse service and the Norwegian Meteorological Institute was established already in the 1860-ies. Utsira lighthouse was de-manned in 2004. The station is owned by the state and protected as a national monument under the Cultural Heritage Act. The Coastal Administration is cooperating with the local municipality which provides guided tours at the station in the summertime. Guiding the way - The coastal light of Utsira marks the first landfall for ships approaching the coast of Rogaland from the west and the north. According to local tradition beacons were lit at Utsira to guide ships during the fishing season far back in time. The first proposal to build a proper lighthouse was presented in 1802, but it took 40 years before priority was given to Utsira in the governmental budgets. To distinguish between Utsira and the light at Kvitsøy, a twin light was in operation until 1890, when a rotating, first order lens was installed. Today the light source is a LED-lamp placed at the top of the old lantern.