Tungenes lighthouse was established in 1828. At first the light came from a couple of candles, but was soon replaced by a liver oil burner. The main building at the station was erected by the Lighthouse Authorities and taken into use on September 1st. 1862. In 1898 the building was raised with a small tower on top. Tungenes lighthouse was made redundant and taken out of service in 1984. As a substitute, a light beacon was put up at the small rock “Bragen” just to the north of the old light. The whole station with all its buildings was taken over by the local municipality of Randaberg and is now a part of the regional museum “Jærmuseet”. Tungenes lighthouse is open to the public and is used for different cultural events. The whole station is protected as a national monument under the Cultural Heritage Act. Guiding the way - The demand for a lighthouse at Tungenes was related to the rich herring fisheries on the south-west coast in the 19th century. The waters around Tungenes has strong currents and the low land makes it difficult to navigate. To make it easier for the fishermen to land their catches in Stavanger, the local Harbour Commission in 1828 decided to hire a local farmer to keep a light burning in his attic window during the fishing season. But as both the town and the maritime traffic was growing fast, the lighthouse at Tungenes was up-graded several times.