Nordøyan lighthouse was established in 1890. Late at night, in the autumn of 1962, a message was sent from the radio at Rørvik that the ship “St. Svitun” was missing in the waters outside Grinna lighthouse, east of Nordøyan. A rescue-search was organised, but without results. The keeper at Nordøyan was warned, but could not leave his post. But in the middle of the night, he was wakened by a knock on the door. Outside were two freezing men, who had captured a lifeboat and headed for the nearest light. In the boat were several survivors, including a baby, only 10 months old. Later, another lifeboat appeared, and altogether 31 persons were taken care of by the keeper of Nordøyan lighthouse. 44 people drowned in the incident. Nordøyan was de-manned in 2004. The station is owned by the state and protected as a national monument under the Cultural Heritage Act. Guiding the way - When Villa lighthouse was shut down in 1890, a new plan for the aids to navigation in the waters of Folla had to be made. It was decided to establish a new lighthouse at Surenøy, the southernmost island of Nordøyan, and most of the technical equipment at Villa was moved here.