Kjeungskjæret lighthouse was first lit in 1880 and is one of the most characteristic buildings on the Norwegian coast. 20 meters high, the octagonal stone construction stands on a rock submerged by water at high tide. All living-facilities had to be incorporated in the tower itself. The station was de-manned in 1987. It is owned by the state and protected as a national monument under the Cultural Heritage Act. The surrounding natural environment is protected as a bird sanctuary. The Coastal Administration is cooperating with the local branch of the heritage organisation “Kysten” (The Coast) to facilitate alternative use of the building. The main reason for establishing Kjeungskjær lighthouse was the need for guidance through the difficult waters between Ørlandet and Storfosen with its islands, islets and small rocks.